June 14, 2012

Day length and onion bulbs

Walla Walla Onions
This year is my first year growing onions in my garden. While I am not expecting softball size onions my first year, all three varieties (Red Zeppelin, Walla Walla, and Copra) are looking great.  

Here is a picture of a rapidly expanding Walla Walla onion. These were grown from transplants purchased from Johnny's Seeds. With the longer days of June, the onions are looking beautiful, healthy, and are forming bulbs.  

I will have to start some Walla Walla's from seed in August to over-winter. I have read that growing the onions over the winter makes this already sweet onion, even sweeter. I will let you know next year if there is a difference ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.