June 6, 2012

Pruning Tomato Plants

My tomato plants are growing vigorously at over 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide. I noticed that some of the plants were extremely bushy, to the point where I couldn't even reach my hand in to grab a tomato if one were ready to be picked. The lower leaves were also blanketing the ground and covered with dirt from water splashing on the leaves. So, to minimize fungal diseases causes by poor air circulation, I pruned the lower branches of all the tomato plants as well as a few branches within the plants that were inhibiting the growth of tomatoes on the vines. The tomatoes are going to be even happier after this "light" pruning.


Careful:  WIDE load
Branches too close to ground 
and needing to be pruned
Post-pruning

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.