June 30, 2012

First Storm of the Season

After a two weeks of 95-105oF temperatures and no rain, last night we had our first "severe" thunderstorm storm of the season. The gust of wind were over 75 miles per hour and the hail and rain were pounding down hard on us for about 2 hours. While we lost electricity for over 12 hours, we were grateful that the power came back on before the next day's heat peaked. 


How did my garden fair?  


From my house, I could see that the pole beans were knocked over and a few of the tomato cages were slightly tilted. The damage was a little worse than what I could see when looking out the window. Tomato plants were ripped out of the ground by the weight of their monstrous size (over 6'), their cages twisted to the point where they don't stay in the ground, the tops of onions were pushed to the ground, soybeans and green beans were crushed by the weight of the fallen tomato plants, and we lost two more apples. Though I think my garden looks ugly and messy right now, I guess it could have been worse. Hopefully everything bounces back and everything starts to look normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.