June 21, 2012

Invasion

Spotted Cucumber Beetle 
This week, cucumber beetles, mexican bean beetles, japanese beetles, and squash bugs have begun their invasion of my succulent fruits. To help control these savage beasts, I strategically placed several sticky traps around the most susceptible crops - cucumbers and zucchini. These traps are helping a little bit but yesterday I had to bring out slightly heavier artillery. I sprayed the bush and pole beans, cucumber, zucchini, and raspberry plants with some organic Safer brand Tomato and Vegetable Insect "Killer." This didn't do much in the last 24 hours so today I spent some time plucking the insects off the plants and dropping them into a dish detergent and water solution. I will do the same tomorrow as well. Hopefully I can hold off a few more weeks from applying stronger (non-organic) chemicals.  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.