November 4, 2012

Fall = garlic planting time

No vampires will be in my garden this winter. With the help of my fiancé, I planted 56 Music and 53 Duganski garlic cloves. Both are of the hardneck variety but they look totally different. The Music garlic cloves are big and have a pure white outer wrapper while the Duganski garlic cloves are smaller and have a beautiful pink/purple outer wrapper. In about 8 months, these garlic will be ready to harvest.

I also planted 50-60 Walla Walla onion seedlings that I started a few months ago from seeds. Planting onions this late in the year is a little unusually for the mid-atlantic region, especially for an onion that requires a certain about of light to bulb up. Usually you plant onion seeds in January/February, transplant in March/April, and harvest in June/July. But I am trying a little experiment. I have read that growing sweet onions overwinter results in an even sweeter onion. I have no idea whether the onion seedlings will survive this winter, but with fingers crossed, I hope to have a side-by-side comparison of the Walla Walla onions I planted today with those I plant in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.