September 21, 2012

Last day of summer

Today marks the last day of summer. With this end, I harvested the last of the tomatoes and green beans before removing the spent plants. I held on to these sad looking plants because I was just dying to get 13 more pounds of produce out of the garden to bring my grand total to 400 lbs.  I wonder if I succeeded?  Time to weigh the harvest. Drumroll please...




Oh, so close: 395.4 lbs. It is ok, I still have pepper plants in the garden.  

What were the highs and lows of the 2012 garden season?  

Well, I had a heck of a time with bugs this year. I think it had something to do with the early wet spring we had this year. The most damaging bugs were the cucumber beetles, squash vine borer, and stink bugs. The hornworm was the scariest and the most annoying were the japanese beetles. I also found out today that the tomato plants had aphids as well. Check. I think I had the most destructive insects for all my years of gardening.  

On the other hand, I had one of the best years growing garlic. The bulbs were large and cloves fragrant and delicious. I also had a grand time watching the onions grow from seed all the way through harvest and curing. I do need to work on curing the onions a little better. I lost a lot due to rot because I didn't cure them quick enough. I will definitely dedicate more of my garden to both of these vegetables next year!  

Oh, how can I forget. I was able to harvest three, yes just three, of the most delicious honeycrisp apples from my own tree. Woohoo! I know that future years the apple and peach trees will be super productive.  But for my first year, this is fantastic.

Now it is time to start flipping through seed catalogs for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.