July 7, 2013

Tomatoes are here

There are a few things that come to mind when I think of summer: fireflies, longer days, warm nights, hot cars, tall corn stalks, 4th of July, and of course tomatoes.

I cannot wait to see all the different colors and shapes of the heirloom tomatoes I am growing this year - 10 varieties in total (oh my, what was I thinking). 

First of many tomato harvest
I picked my first tomatoes this weekend: one yellow pear tomato, one sweet 100 cherry, two roma, and a handful of sun gold cherry tomatoes. While this harvest was small, it is only a matter of time before I am again swimming in tomatoes. 

Using the peppers, sweet onions, and basil that I have harvested from my garden, I am making my first batch of homemade tomato sauce with about 3 gallons of stewed tomatoes that I froze at the end of last summer.  This is the first of many days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.