September 22, 2012

First and third - best in show next year!

I decided, less than two days before the deadline, to submit some of my home preserved foods to our local county fair. I have never done something like this before. I had no clue what the rules were. BUT, I did have a lot of jellies and sauces preserved from this year's harvest so I decided, what the heck, I am going to submit something.

For a $10 entrance fee, I was able to submit three items. I selected a ketchup (made with the ripest roma tomatoes and onions from my garden), a spicy BBQ sauce (made using tomatoes, hot peppers, and onions from my garden), and a tangy but tasty grapefruit jelly (made from the juice of the grapefruits my mother brought up from Georgia last Christmas). The BBQ sauce didn't win anything (this was no surprise to me since I felt like it was missing something - brown sugar maybe??). But, the grapefruit jelly got 3rd place and the ketchup got 1st place! Woohoo!  

Imagine what I could do if I actually planned to submit something to the competition!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.