July 16, 2012

Interim Report

Since we are keeping track, let's see where we are mid-season...
  • Squash Vine Borers - 2
  • Cucumber beetles (stripped and spotted) - 10
  • Squash Bugs - 0
  • "Violent" thunder storm - 1
  • Blossom End Rot - 20
  • Rabbits - 8
  • Slugs - 0
  • Me?
Haha...I broke 100 lbs today! That is right. My garden has produced over 100 lbs of produce as of today (103.1 lbs to be exact). That is not including lettuce, herbs, garlic bulbs, onions harvested for fresh use or any vegetable lost due to disease, pest damage, or rot. 

I did have to remove 1 zucchini plant and 10 cucumber plants today because of squash vine borers and cucumber beetle infestation, respectively. That just means there is more space to start lettuce, broccoli, beets, carrots, and other cold weather vegetables.  :)

Observations and conclusions for today:
1) Do not feed rabbits your "crappy" tomatoes. You know, the ones that the rabbits already started to chow down on. Flies and ants are attracted to the decomposing fruit and the rabbits won't eat it after these insects arrive. Guess who gets to clean up the maggot infested waste. Yup. That would be me.  (Luckily, there were not maggots...yet. Just being a little dramatic)

2) Do not plant "patio" cucumbers in the garden. Yeah, the vines are short and do not take up much space. But, when you have a 6 foot tall trellis, you do not need to save space. 

3) Next year, install the damn irrigation system! It takes me over 2.5 hours to fulfill my backyard watering duties. I really do love gardening. But I rather be weeding than watering. I know, that just sounds sick.

Off my soapbox. (for now)


Where's Waldo? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.