May 27, 2013

Peas, Peas, and Peas

Sugar Ann Snap Peas
There are three different types of peas: garden peas, snap peas, and snow peas. The garden pea is the typical vegetable that most people think of when you say "peas". Snap peas have plump pods with full-sized peas. They are often confused with snow peas which have flat and nearly empty pods. Unlike garden peas which require shelling, snap and snow peas can be eaten whole - pods and all.

Peas can be planted as soon as the ground can be worked in early spring (4-6 weeks before the expected last frost). Pea seeds should be directly planted in the ground to avoid damaging their delicate and shallow root system, if transplanted. In early April, I planted two 5 foot rows of Sugar Ann Snap Peas. I spaced the seeds 2 inches apart, and about 1.5 inches deep. 

Sugar Ann is a dwarf variety of snap peas that grows on vines that are a maximum of 2 feet long. Unlike other varieties, these snap peas do not require a trellis for support. However, to make it easier to harvest, I grew mine with a simple trellis made using twine that I had strung horizontally between two stakes. I spaced the twine approximately 5 inches apart vertically for a total of 4 horizontal lines of twine. 

It has been fun to watch these vining plants grow, sending their tendrils up into the air and wrapping around each other and the trellis. 

About a week ago, the snap pea plants had begun to flower. Yesterday, I noticed there was a single snap pea pod that was ready to be picked. One pod? Do I wait for more to grow or pick this one now and eat it without sharing my harvest with others? 

Since snap peas can be picked anytime after the pods form, I decided to wait one more day before picking the first fruits of my labor. 

Today I had my first harvest of snap peas! Although just three pods, it was the perfect amount. I had one for now, one for later, and one to share. Too bad they tasted so good that I ate two myself and only shared one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.