January 14, 2013

It all starts with seeds

Yay! You decided to grow vegetable and herb transplants from seed. Now what?!

Well, you need seeds. But first, think about what you would like to grow. For a newbie, I recommend starting small and starting with your favorite vegetable and herb. If you have done this before, take inventory of the seeds remaining from previous year(s). If they were properly store, the seeds may still be good. If this is totally new to you or you are looking to expand your garden, it is time to go shopping.

I have found that my local nursery and home improvement stores sell a large variety of seeds with the same or lower cost than the seed catalogs. While I love window shopping by flipping through seed catalogs, I find it more cost effective to purchase most of my seeds locally. Not only do I save on shipping costs, often I can get many of the same seeds locally that I would have purchased through a catalog. As an added benefit, buying local means someone has selected varieties that are known to do well in my area...hopefully.

Don’t get overwhelmed by the seemingly endless variety of vegetable and herb seeds. Start small. Expand next year. Some things are easier said than done (see picture).

2013 Seed Inventory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message regarding this blog post.